- Join us as we click through AdWords in 2014
Whether you’re building out new campaigns or making critical budget decisions, we want to help you start off the new year with everything you need to connect with your customers, wherever they may be online: across the web, on mobile-sites, and in apps.
On December 10, 2014 at 12:30pm PT / 3:30pm ET
, AdWords product managers and I will be hosting a half-hour livestream to look back at this year's new features, offer best practices, and share customer success stories.
Join us to:
- Understand how app developers are driving installs and re-engagement across search, display, and YouTube on all those shiny new devices people will unwrap this holiday season.
- Learn how LendingTree and Blinds.com are making more informed business decisions by measuring cross-device conversions and phone calls.
- Discover essential best practices for automated bidding and app promotion.
- Wrap up the year with an announcement you won’t want to miss. We think you’ll like it.
We hope you’ll join us December 10th, here on the Inside AdWords blog as we click through AdWords in 2014.Posted by Jerry Dischler, Vice President, Product Management, AdWords
- Richer mobile shopping experience this holiday season
More than ever, people are searching on their devices at all hours and places. As a result, we’ve seen a 3.5X increase in shopping searches coming from smartphones year-on-year, and this continues to grow.1
And we’re currently sending more mobile traffic to retailers per week from Google Shopping than we did during the peak of last holiday season.2
So we're making it easier to find the information and images people need to make shopping better on mobile. Providing richer mobile shopping experiences
Shoppers often want to see more detailed information about a product before making a purchase decision. Now, when they search for a specific product on their smartphone or tablet, we show an expandable product card with rich product content such as reviews and details for that item. For example, on a query such as the Nexus 10, results will show the image of the product along with merchants who carry this tablet, detailed information on the product, and product reviews from customers.
Product card on mobile
And for shoppers who procrastinate buying gifts until Christmas Eve (or can't wait for presents to arrive in the mail) we’re bringing the local shopping experience to more people with local inventory ads on tablet. Shoppers can now find products nearby using any device, which means that advertisers can promote their local products throughout the holiday season - even after the holiday shipping cutoffs have passed.
Local inventory ad, local storefront and related items on tablet
We're also helping to bring products to life on Google Shopping by allowing people to view images from multiple sources and explore products from any angle. Shoppers can now rotate selected products in 360 degrees to see them in more detail on mobile.
360 degree views on mobile
To ensure your products are visible to smartphone shoppers this holiday season, be sure to take advantage of Auction insights
segmented by device. Evaluate how you stack up against your competition, identify missed opportunities and refine your bid modifier strategy to gain a greater share of voice on mobile. Check out our recent post
on new reporting launches for more information on new insights now available in Shopping campaigns.
Post Posted by Jennifer Liu, Product Manager, Google Shopping
1Global Google Internal Data, Week of 10/25-10/31 ‘13 to ‘14. Shopping searches are defined here as queries from a smartphone that trigger a Product Listing Ad.
2 Global Google Internal Data, Week of 12/2-12/8 ‘13 compared to 11/1-11/7 ‘14. Mobile traffic is defined here as traffic from smartphones.
- New ways to rev up your Shopping campaigns
Want to get more impressions and clicks for your Shopping campaigns? Or want to know how to spot missed opportunities in your bidding strategy and find your mobile share of voice? We introduced competitive landscape data
last year so you can start answering those burning questions, and today, we’re excited to announce a handful of additions that’ll help you find new ways to optimize your Shopping campaigns and engage shoppers on all devices.
- Auction insights report lets you compare your Product Listing Ad (PLA) performance to other advertisers participating in the same auctions as you are. With impression share, overlap rate and outranking share, you’re able to see trends amongst your peers and strategic opportunities to improve your bidding strategies.
- Search impression share has been revamped to be more useful and aligned with text ads. You can now analyze your share of voice at the granularity you want with Search impression share in the Dimensions tab. You’ll know which campaigns are limited by a low budget with Lost IS (budget) and which ones need further optimization with Lost IS (rank). Note that we now calculate Search impression share at account level so you may notice a change in impression share between October and November.
- Device and time segmentation are available to help you refine your bid modifier strategy. You can see if your peers received more mobile impressions than you over the weekend with the Auction insights report segmented by device and day.
- Bid simulator columns show you what your advertising results could’ve been had you set different bids. You can add these columns in your Product groups tab and, for example, find product groups that’ll drive the most incremental clicks.
- Flattened view of your product groups presents another way to analyze your performance. It allows you to sort your product groups within an ad group based on performance data and easily identify which to optimize. For example, you can sort by impression share, find a few product groups with the lowest impression share, and fine-tune those bids within a matter of clicks.
We hope these additions will help you identify easy-wins for the holidays and unlock new, more actionable ways to optimize your Shopping campaigns. We’ll continue to explore other reporting needs so you have relevant and useful data at your fingertips. Visit our help center articles for more information on Auction insights
, Search impression share
, bid simulator columns
, and the flattened product groups view
.Posted by Dimitris Meretakis, Product Manager, Google Shopping
- Troubleshooting made easier with new Diagnostics tab in Merchant Center
Great product data is at the core of what drives successful Product Listing Ads (PLAs). As you’re preparing your Shopping campaigns for the upcoming holiday season, it’s important to ensure that your data is free of issues so your products are shown to shoppers. To help identify issues with your product data, we're excited to introduce the Diagnostics tab in Google Merchant Center.
The Diagnostics tab provides consolidated issue reporting for your Merchant Center account, feeds, and items. Through this tab, which replaces the Data Quality tab, you gain better insight into the health of your product data, making it easier and faster to prioritize key issues and get your products online.
The new Diagnostics tab also features new reporting tools to find:
- A historic overview of item eligibility status to spot and investigate changes that have caused recent item disapprovals
- A downloadable report containing all affected items and the reasons for disapprovals
- Traffic and impact metrics to help you identify how many items are currently impacted by specific issues
Try out the new Diagnostics tab today in your Merchant Center
account. To learn more about changes to the tab, visit our Help Center
.Posted by Tom Beyer and Sven Herschel, Product Management, Google Shopping
- Show promotions on your Product Listing Ads with Merchant Promotions
Two years ago, we launched Merchant Promotions
to retailers in the US, enabling them to show promotions alongside Product Listing Ads on Google search results and Google Shopping. Based on positive feedback, we’re excited to make Merchant Promotions available to retailers in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Australia and India.
|Example of Merchant Promotions on Product Listing Ads on Google.com|
|Example of Merchant Promotions on Google Shopping|
Participating US retailers have seen improved performance from their Product Listing Ads. For example, Venus’s PLAs with Merchant Promotions had a seven percent higher clickthrough rate (CTR), a two percent higher conversion rate, and an 11 percent lower cost-per-click (CPC) than their standard PLAs. Read more about Venus’ success with Merchant Promotions here
. Get started with Merchant Promotions
If you’re interested in learning more about Merchant Promotions or planning on running promotions this holiday season, please review this Getting Started Guide
and fill out the interest form
to get in touch with our team.Posted by Christina Ilvento, Product Manager, Google Shopping