I am starting to get irritated and/or disturbed when I hear/see/read people discussing how Social Media is the same as SEO or Social Media is replacing SEO or that Social Media and SEO are twins. I don’t agree with any of it.
Some of the Things SEO is Focused on Include:
- A Website
- Coding and Structure
- Competitive Intelligence
- Local Search and Universal Search
- Link Building
SEO and your website are the foundation of everything you do online.
Social Media is One Thing Tha Supports the SEO, Website and Marketing Plan!
- Social Media can engage potential customers, but it is suppose to push them to a website to convert (a website with a foundation in SEO).
- Social Media can and should drive traffic to a website…again, a site with SEO as its foundation.
- Social Media can be an ORM vehicle and can help create a substantial web presence, yet the goals are often to send people to a website for a conversion of some type.
- Social Media is used to advertise the services of a business and often link to the services pages or an article/post about a service on a website. It markets the foundation.
I am fully aware that Social Media is influencing the search engine algorithms, but we have no precise formula on how this works and even if we did I will NEVER believe it can replace the foundation every business needs, an optimized website.
SEO and Social Media ARE NOT Equal
Social Media is great. I love it and enjoy it and I am active in it, but it is dangerous to start announcing or believing that Social Media is in any way equal to SEO. SEO and your website are your foundation! Everything else a business does online is there to support that foundation, to drive traffic to the foundation and to convert through the foundation.
Imagine a website as the trunk of a tree. There are several branches on this tree and social media may account for 10-15% of them, but there are many other branches that complete the tree. You may choose a variety of avenues to advertise online with, but with all of them you must keep in mind that the website and the SEO are the trunk that supports and holds it all together.
Editors Note; interestingly, Melissa wasn’t even aware of the other post we had on search and social last week. Something is in the water cooler around here methinks.